Gardens

Monday, November 1, 2010

Thing # 17 Podcasts Without An iPod

I had heard podcasts before, as my husband was interviewed on one I listened to a while back, but I had no idea of how they were derived and the wide applications and uses of them until this Thing # 17. I used the directory Education Podcast Network but got to literature sites that had high school level material and I wanted elementary level. I found a group of podcasts that had delightful children's Australian accents telling about their town of Ballina, New South Wales, but there were no RSS feeds with them. I found some interesting subject matter on PBS Podcasts, but they were more professional and mature-oriented for this elementary level-seeking Blogger Babe.

I went to Jamestown Elementary Podcast Project was delighted to see even young elementary school children's podcast productions, but I could not get sound on them. Looking for English Language content, I visited The Bob and Rob Show: English Lessons but found these a little dry for me personally. After trying one site that was too "busy looking" and off-putting and one that required downloading iTunes, I kept looking.

Finally I hit upon History Podcast and found topics ranging from Cleopatra to Roman Aqueducts to Pocahontas. I found out that the Disney movie, "Pocahontas" has factually incorrect information about this historical female figure. This is the one I chose to put the RSS feed of onto my Google Reader site.

This Web 2.0 vehicle, the podcast, which can incorporate music or sound effects along with the spoken word, can be useful with all ages and subjects in education. Teachers and students alike can employ them to give presentations or information. Students would gain confidence and pride in their work learning about their subject and putting podcasts together.

1 comment:

  1. Podcasting is becoming increasingly popular among elementary students.

    ReplyDelete